Tuesday, August 31, 2021

It was 20 years ago today...

 that I went to Virginia Water, armed with a yellow Garmin Etrex hand held GPS and found my first geocache. 

I rarely geocache now despite intending to and the game is much changed from those early days. I used to enjoy a five mile hike to find a box with wonderful views. I have little interest in finding a minute plastic container hidden at a roadside or finding loads within a small area. For me it was always quality over quantity. And whilst there are still lots of good caches I am sure, wading through the chaff to find them is more effort than I can muster.

Who knows though. I might still be connected enough to celebrate my 30th anniversary.

3 comments:

Masher said...

You're three months ahead of me, Dave.

Interestingly, my first find is still out there and is the second oldest in the UK.

kennamatic said...

My first find died off years back. And I nipped out yesterday and bagged one just for the hell of it.

Masher said...

On top of that, I think my first 'virtual' find was actually one of yours... somewhere near the Millennium Bridge, as I remember.