Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Hoo need's Gramar

 In general I am not a grammar nazi. I tend to see spelling mistakes and the misplaced apostrophe and roll my eyes or whatever I feel like doing. But there is one thing that gets my goat more than any other. It's not a rare mistake but I think I am seeing the mistake more often than the correct version. The offending phrase?

I would of.

FFS. It's becoming ubiquitous. Obviously Facebook comments are full of "would of's" and I know some of the people that do it. They went to the same school as me. There is no way they cannot know it is would have or would've. I was on an online chat with the Passport Office and I got a "would of" out of him. I know this sounds snobbish, but this is a government agency. They need standards. 

Maybe I'm just old and can't keep up with modern ways but schools are beginning to teach grammar again so it has obviously been decided that maybe it is important.

Well, if it starts happening with the future perfect tense, then I will of been right to be worried!

3 comments:

Masher said...

Reading! That's what I think is the problem: people don't read enough anymore.
If you read books, newspapers, novels etc, on a regular basis, you will learn the correct grammar and spelling of words - subconsciously in many cases. I was an avid reader when I was younger and always felt that it helped with my spelling and grammar and punctuation.
But I don't think the younger generation read so much nowadays. With their eyes glued to their tablets and phones, the only bit of reading they do, tends to be 140 characters or less with misspelt words and no punctuation, in order to make it fit.

Brennig said...

I would of thort 'gon too bee wiv da angles' would of wounded you up mor

kennamatic said...

Masher - Indeed, I think you are right. Online just compounds the errors and auto correct does little to help.

Brennig - Hit vary neerly duz.