Thursday, February 18, 2021

Perseverence Pays Off

 Sod what I was going to write today. For a child who grew up in the 60s, things landing on Mars is exciting. I know they will grab a load of rock and they might discover traces of some sort of microbes but a small part of me hopes they are going to find something amazing, like if Dan Dare had gone there. He'd find something! Knowing that the unit had to slow from 19.000 mph or whatever to about 2 mph is exciting, just because it is. That's like really really fast to really really slow. How many things they said would happen have fallen short and taken longer to achieve but tonight there is another slight step forward. 

I'm probably never going to see  a manned mission to Mars, or at least a manned landing but I know it is coming. And maybe at the same time we finally get there, The Mighty Mekon will be arriving from his galaxy.

3 comments:

Masher said...

If they do find life on Mars, it will be microbial... and only slightly more intelligent than Joey Essex.

kennamatic said...

I know, but you can dream.

Brennig said...

I was absolutely fascinated and rooted to the TV coverage; it was quality viewing from PBS, and just the right amount of geekery in the stream of information.