Monday, March 19, 2007

Poacher Turned Gamekeeper

Linda needs loads of brand new plastic bags to pack things in so I said I'd go to Tescos and ask them nicely for an unopened box of carriers and explain why.

I trundled down to Tescos and explained the situation. A manager came down and explained that Tescos were trying to stop their customers using too many plastic bags as it was bad for the environment.

I explained I have at 6 large black plastic sacks and three large cartons of non-recyclable plastic packaging in my garage, the majority of which comes from Tescos and that Linda won't throw it away and it is not-re-cyclable. We actually throw nothing away. If it isn't in recyclable packaging we don't buy it and we therefore are pretty much 99% green in that respect.

It didn't of course persuade him to give me the bags, but I'm buggered if I'm going to be lectured on green issues by a lackey from a company who probably contribute more to the waste packaging mountain than any other company.

As an exercise, next time you are in a supermarket. stop near the entrance and see how much floorspace there is, then how many products there are, and subsequently how much packaging there must be in there at this very moment. Then realise that quite a lot of the stuff gets replaced on a daily or less that daily basis. And that's just one store of one supermarket. I'm not preaching from the recyclers bible, I really don't care if you recycle or not, but it does give you a damn good idea why we are running out of landfill.

No comments: