Tuesday, November 13, 2007

1984 - Big Brother IS watching you.

This morning I received a parking ticket.

Actually, that's not correct.

This morning I had a letter telling me that 13 days ago my car was parked in a place where loading and parking were subject to restrictions during certain hours.

I couldn't have been given a ticket, not because I wasn't there, but because there was no warden there. I was spotted by a remote CCTV camera.

A camera which is obviously trained on monitoring the public during the day. Watching you walk down the road. Watching your kids go to school. Noting you drop that piece of litter. Monitoring you chat innocently enough to the girl from the office opposite. Watching your wife answer the door in her nightie.

There are also three boards on this section of road asking for witnesses to various road accidents and assaults. Of course, they failed to notice them.

Was that a clock I just heard striking thirteen?

2 comments:

Doesnotcompute (owner) said...

Is that an official "from the council" type thing, or some dodgy scam type thing? Is there sufficient signage around stating that you can't park there etc?

kennamatic said...

Yes, it's official. Not going to take this lying down. When CCTV cameras were intorduced into public areas this is expressly not what they were to be used for.