Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Film 17 - 2 of 12 - PS I Love You

This is a Chick Flick. Possibly the most chickiest one you can get. It would be a rom com as there is plenty of rom but the subject matter precludes a com really. And so intense is it's appeal to certain members of the female sex that I shall divulge the effect it had on two of M's daughters at the end.

So, the premise is this. Hilary Swank (no tittering at the back!), plays Holly, a young American lady who visits Ireland on holiday. She meets Gerry, played by Gerard Butler, whom I am reliably informed should only have his name mentioned if you are going to follow it up with the words "witness the fitness", and they get married. It is not a spoiler but the main pivotal point of the movie, is that he dies. And Holly is devastated. As she might well be. And she thinks her life is over. And then a message turns up for her on her birthday from Gerry. Not in a "blimey, is he really still alive" sort of a way, but in as much as he has planned this before his death. In fact there are a number of messages and letters which make their way to her, over a period of time, from various different characters whom he has tipped off and provided with the necessary.

There are some interesting co-stars. Lisa Kudrow, of Friends fame, plays one of Hollys friends. James Masters who was Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer plays somebody or other but to be honest he was forgettable. Kathy Bates is Hollys mother and doesn't break anybodys legs. And Jeffrey Dean Morgan turns up as one of Gerry's best friends, probably best known for his role as a patient in Greys Anatomy who stole the heart of the blonde doctor whose name escapes me. And finally, Harry Connick Junior plays her best male friend. Badly.

It is a pleasant enough film and it doesn't require much brain power.

Many tissues will be required.

I must now warn my male readers that there are two possible outcomes from watching this film wth your beloved. As the final credits roll she may be overcome with a wave of romantic sentiment and lie trembling in your arms ready for you to prove you are her man. On the other hand you could be hit by a tirade of abuse based on the fact that you don't have a romantic bone in your body and you wouldn't possibly do anything like that would you, you cold-hearted unromantic bastard, I don't know what I ever saw in you. I should have listened to my mother... etc. etc. Good luck!

Anyway, back to my original comment about M's daughters. So much did they fall under the spell of Gerard Butler and all the gorgeous "Oirish" people, that they booked a series of weekends away in Dublin to go find Irish boyfriends, just like Gerry. They failed. One of them did get an Irish boyfriend who lived nearby in London, but it turned out he was a twat.

Actually, I enjoyed it for what it was and whenever it is on tv, which is reasonably regularly, and there is nothing else on, we dip in again.

4 out of 5 shamrocks.

2 comments:

Masher said...

I don't like rom coms... because I'm a real man.
That's what I tell myself, but if I catch one, I usually end up liking it.
Sounds like I might like this one too.

Brennig said...

Ooh, ooh, I've seen this one. Several times. It's not a bad little film.