Monday, February 03, 2020

Isle d'Amour

With the arrival of Rachel has come the arrival of Love Island to the house. I have managed to avoid even a seconds viewing of it before this series. You may well never have seen it and think it will be an utter load of drivel and a waste of time even watching a minute of it. You would be correct.

Despite announcing that it is just a laugh and you can't take it seriously, both Rachel and M are not beyond discussing the finer point of each relationship. If you can call the coupling up of young supposedly good looking couples a relationship.

From what I have seen it seems to be a bit of a guide to a target audience of 12 year olds in how to conduct a relationship. Sometimes they feel nothing for each other but then again there might be a spark. But if they do then they will almost definitely develop "feelings". They all develop feelings. Nothing but feelings. They keep heading off in couples to have a talk which involves explaining how you feel about things and how their behaviour makes the other feel. Everyone respects everyone else's point of view and the boys and the girls sit around in their same sex groups and discuss their feelings. It feels very plastic, somewhat like their faces. And they must have 50% of the world's cosmetics in there!

I don't think it will be on my watch list when I can avoid it but then again I guess I'm not their target audience. I guess I'm still in favour of meeting someone in a more natural environment than the set of a tv programme.

3 comments:

Masher said...


I have never seen it, but I'm aware of what it is all about and I think it will be an utter load of drivel and a waste of time even watching a minute of it.

You think likewise, I see.

And some of these people then become 'celebrities'in their own right, later appearing on Celebrity game shows, prompting those of an older generation to wonder "Who the...?"

Brennig said...

Famous for doing nothing, except talking about their feelings? I haven't seen it, it's one of the 'I could live without watching' reality programmes (but there's not too much reality involved). So I'm with you and Masher; I'll give it a miss

Anonymous said...

Moi aussi! I saw a bit of one episode without being aware of what it was and all I could think about was how the mouths of the girls looked as if they'd been whacked with a spade.