Friday, February 08, 2013

Backing The Right Horse

Well, the beef/horse/unicorn* disaster continues apace. Who knows where and with what the next food might be adulterated with. Obviously in Findus's case, not so much adulterated as completely exchanged.

I'm interested as to how the first discovery was made and by whom. None of the retailers were routinely carrying out dna checks for the products so why did someone have a look. Tesco's are now apologising and explaining how they are going to make sure this never happens again by introducing regular dna checks. I suspect there will be all sorts of discoveries coming up as newspapers rush for the next scoop.



Morrisons claim their products are all as advertised but who wants to eat an elephant pastie?






Why are people worried about eating horse. Or is it as David Cameron claimed today that it isn't that they are eating horse but people feel let down under the Sale of Goods Act. No, David, people appear to be worried they.ve eaten a gee gee. I think I've had horse before. Last time we were on holiday in France we bought a pair of excellent steaks at a very good price, they were incredibly tasty, and I can't remember that it ever actually said what animal had supplied the meat at point of death. If indeed it was horse then let's get some over here. Tasty!

I suspect there are quite a lot of people who are offended because they feel they should be. There are certainly others who believe horses are "different" and shouldn't be eaten. No wonder the great unwashed are freaked out by the Tucker Trials on IACGMOOH. If other people eat it then it isn't going to poison you. If you can eat one animal then surely you can eat them all.

And now, I'm going to give you an exclusive. Tesco's have carried out another set of dna tests today and I'm afraid to have to inform you that My Little Pony contains no equine dna whatsoever!!!!!

* one of these might not have been found in burgers or lasagne yet.

4 comments:

Masher said...

Actually Dave, I think Cameron is right... to a degree.

Speaking for myself, I'm not at all bothered that I may have eaten a dobbin. But it does bother me that I thought I was eating something else.

kennamatic said...

I think it becomes important where we get into the world of allergies. We need to rely on our food being correct for that reason. Had it been fish, the inclusion of shellfish could have been dangerous for some. Although in that case it would be unlikely as shellfish is more expensive than white fish.

Yes, I think there is something in it from a "being misled" point of view but would there have been as much hoohah if it had been lamb that had been mixed in?

Anonymous said...

I think it is all to do with trust. If the big supermarkets cannot trust their suppliers to supply what was agreed, then all kinds of things could get into our food and it wouldn't be just a matter or horse.

Anonymous said...

matter OF horse - obv.