Saturday, February 25, 2017

Reading Aloud

When I used to drive for a living I'd get fed up of listening to music and talk rdio used to annoy me so I took to listening to audiobooks. In those days they were 12 or 16 cassette long readings of, in my case, mainly crime novels, although I wasn't averse to something of a comedic quality.

A few weeks back it suddenly occurred to me I should do that again when I am driving around and I've had my fill of French Radio. Which is actually longer than you would think. The other time would be when we are driving back. I shall be scourig Amazon etc for some suitable titles but nearly bought a John Grisham audio book today. I reaslised that if we started listening when we left home we would just finish before we reached my Mums in St Albans. I'm not sure we could sustain two full days of listening to a book. Not speaking, not wanting to sing to something which we often do when driving. But maybe we could do one book over the journey there and back?

The downside sometimes with audio book is that the person reading it is wrong. Rather like reading a book and then seeing the film where all the actors are completely wrong to the way you pictured them, the voice of the person reading needs to correspond to the voice you read the book in, or at least one of the characters in the book.

Of course I could download books onto Audible or a.n.other app but when driving I think cd is best.

So now I shall start trawling the sites for something interesting to listen to....

6 comments:

Masher said...

Similarly, I can't be bothered with radio when I'm driving and so mainly listen to podcasts.
I have my favourites, which I will load up onto a CR-RW on a Sunday night, and that lasts me all week.

I did once try an audiobook, but found it was sending me to sleep... which is not a good thing on the motorway.

kennamatic said...

That is indeed another possibility. I must try and keep up with you youngsters and your new media options.

Anonymous said...

Here is a link to reasonably priced CDs for you:

https://www.awesomebooks.com/booksmenu/category/538/audio-cds/

I get a lot of my books there too, no delivery charge to UK and not very expensive for Europe.

Brennig said...

I'm with Masher. Audiobooks send me to drowsy which isn't great when driving. But podcasts engage me, especially the much amuse @Wittertainment podcast, the finest BBC product, moreso, if one has a firm interest in films. But as Jaws isn't about a shark, so too the BBCs Flagship Film Podcast isn't about films. I have five years' of @Witterntainment stored on my NAS, and also have the entire Adam & Joe back-catalogue (which is dangerous to listen to whilst driving because giggling makes for poor concentration).

Masher said...

Adam & Joe is still available from the BBC podcast site, years after the programme finished.
Says something.

kennamatic said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks, I shall definitely have a look.

Brennig - I have listened to various bits of Wittertainment when I used to listen to Radio 5 but my interest in films isn't enough to stop my mind wandering. Never heard Adam and joe so might have a listen.