Saturday, February 11, 2017

Shanty Town

We have, in the area down here, a group of men called The Aude Shantymen. ats they have gathered a series of UK shantys, sea songs plus some French equivalents and perform occasionally around the Aude and Ariege areas of the Languedoc. I knew about them before we came down because one of them used to be in the Navy with the guy we bought the house off of. The estate agent who sold us the house's ex-husband also sings with them. When we did the audition last Wednesday, one of the women there was married to one of them. Whilst they perform irregularly they rehearse weekly which tends to start with a drink and food and then the singing gets fitted in once that has happened.

At ten o'clock this morning there was a bang on the door and there stood their unofficial leader. I had an idea this might happen. As a tenor, and often towards the upper range, I am lucky that we are often in demand. So now I have the offer of joining them after we come back from the UK in a couple of weeks time. It's very good for the ego being headhunted and it will be fun so I will have to be donning a Breton stripey jersey and Languedoc neckerchief in the near future.

So now I will be involved in two groups. The main problem is that rehearsals for both are on midweek afternoons. Plus on a Friday afternoon we often meet with our near neighburs for French conversation in order to improve. I'm not sure I can take three afternoons a week off, much as I would like to.

At least when I am working on the pools I will have some relevant songs to sing as I haul covers on and off!

3 comments:

Masher said...

Do you do requests?

I'd like Boum! by Charles Trenet, silverplate.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am with Masher on this, I love Charles Trenet.

Brennig said...

I'm getting none of this. I'm seeing the words, but I'm just not getting the vibe. Perhaps I'm broken.