Saturday, February 10, 2018

Ziggy Played Guitar

46 years ago today in a London pub, David Bowie came on stage in a new persona. Nobody I know was there. In fact not many people were, it was a small pub. It was four months before the LP came out and it is the first musical event that seemed to unite virtually everyone in my class at school. Those more in the know than me started talking about it and enough excitement was generated that by the time we first saw Starman on Top of the Pops we were hooked on Bowie.

It isn't that we hadn't heard of him before. My brother had Hunky Dory. It did absolutely nothing for me. I listened to it again a couple of weeks back and it still just sounded like wallpaper to me.

Ziggy however was totally different.experience. We talked about every performance we saw. And when the album was out we discussed each track. Learnt them. Sang them. We were all our own Ziggys. There was much air guitar playing to Mick Ronson.

Bowie caught our attention like no one had before. Or possibly since.

3 comments:

Masher said...

I am a very late convert to Bowie's brilliance.
Thirty five years ago, I went out out with a girl who was obsessed with him and whenever I went round to her flat, she would have some Bowie playing in the background. So, I got plenty of exposure but, it just didn't do anything for me. To be honest, I think I thought him a bit wierd. And the make-up put me off.

And then - about ten years ago - something clicked.

kennamatic said...

Was it the make-up that clicked or just the music? :)

Anonymous said...

I loved him from the minute I first heard him.