Saturday, April 14, 2012

D.I.D. - Day 14

Like most people I probably became aware of Enya when she released Orinoco Flow as a single. We bought a couple of cd's of hers. The choice I decided to make was between two tracks, both for me which revolve round death. (He says, on a cheery note). The first is On Your Shore. A song I have picked for my funeral. I'm plumping for a cremation and this is the song I won't to go through the doors to. The track I have actually gone for was played on the radio one morning.

It was the morning of the Kegworth Air Crash in Leicestershire, on January 8th 1989. I herd it on the 7:00 am news whilst driving on the motorway to wherever I was picking up that morning. It was still a bit snowy and felt a little more Christmassy than Christmas did. Simon Mayo was on Radio 1 and as they came out of the news, he played this. No intro, just the report and without the three "vocal chords" it went straight into the vocal. I cried.

Oiche Chiun (Silent Night) - Enya


No comments: