Wednesday, April 04, 2012

D.I.D. - Day 4

Around the same time that I was making my way into the world of amorous liaisons I also went to see my first live gig. Well, first live gig for pop music having already been to the proms.

A mate and I, one who I've mentioned here before went off to see Sparks at Hammersmith Odeon, now the Hammersmith Apollo. Strangely enough, having seen them in concert, I saw Ron & Russell Mael on Oxford Street a couple of days later. I'm pleased to say I didn't make a fool of myself and run up and ask for an autograph. I went to the gig on the strength of their "Kimono My House" LP but within a couple of years I had started going out with my future wife and she introduced me to their earlier catalogue when the line up for the group was the wonderfully monickered; Mael, Mael, Mankey, Mankey, Fienstein. A better name for a firm of Solicitors or Theatrical Agents I have yet to discover. However, the track for today is the one they are probably best associated with.

Sparks - This Town Ain't Big Enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1974?! I am flabbergasted that it was that far back, I truly thought it was ten years later. How my memory plays tricks. They did make me laugh.

kennamatic said...

Toffeeapple - They were certainly entertaining!