Friday, February 19, 2016

Blogathon Day 19 - The Real Thing

Well would you believe it, you wait all your life to go to Harpenden and then you go twice in a week.

Following the meeting with Masher last Sunday, (see how the EU leaders have failed to have any enthusiasm for their talks when they know they were so badly eclipsed?), I returned once more to Harpenden to meet my brother at Godfrey's Fish and Chips.

OMG! As young people like to say these day. Or at least like to text. They are damned good fish and chips. They are possibly the best fish and chips I have had outside Yorkshire. and if not the best, then certainly the second best. So good was the haddock I had, and the batter so crispy and dry, that I was convinced they were cooked in solid fat. By which, I mean as a Yorkshireman, in lard. So when we paid for them I asked and, although they are indeed solid fat fryers, it is solid vegetable oil. As Victor Meldrew said, I don't believe it!

This now means I have a decent fish and chip shop within a thousand miles of where I live. Excellent, even if a bit of a long and expensive round trip to get them.

Now, if I can just get them to skin the fish completely.......

3 comments:

Masher said...

They probably do a postal service and you could have your fish & chips posted to you.
They might be a bit cold when they get there, but a couple of minutes in La Microwave and viola!
But, I bet they don't do brown sauce in La Belle France.

kennamatic said...

Brown Sauce? Brown Sauce??!!!! You Philistine! Everybody knows that a liberal dousing in Sarson's finest malt vinegar, and some salt if you must, is the only addition to a top class fish avec chips. If they are poor quality, then tomato sauce should be the condiment of choice. Brown sauce indeed, I've never heard the like!

Brown sauce is available in the supermarkets in the foreign food isle at a highly inflated price.

Brennig said...

I had some very tasty fush and chups in Matlock Bath, recently. I have no idea why the place is called Matlock Bath. Presumably there's a bath there. I also have no idea why I'm saying all of this in a New Zealand accent.