Friday, February 17, 2012

Children of St Cecilia

Our family have, for some reason, had three generations of musicality.

Myself and my brother each have our niches. His is really with guitar playing. Both modern and classical. He learnt classical guitar from a pupil of Segovia. This, I understand, is the next best thing from Segovia teaching you himself. For myself nowadays it is singing operas and musicals although I play flute reasonably well, guitar passably, and piano to the point where I can get a tune out with a lot of practice.

But it is one part of the family sideways which has the real talent. My cousin has run some of the best brass and silver bands on the second tier of that genre, one of his light opera groups won virtually every award at this years Buxton G&S festival. And he, like his dad before, is an exceptional piano player when it comes to popular songs. But this week it is his son who has been in the spotlight.

Johnathan is a percussionist and has grown up playing in his dad's bands, but last year he exceeded his dads efforts by being accepted by Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band. As a Yorkshire family we are immensely proud of that achievement. The equivalent of one of playing for the County at Headingley. By chance I clicked over on the tele the other night and saw the Radio 2 Folk Awards were on the Bed Button. I fancied some background music so had it on. Halfway through I got a surprise, B&R were backing The Unthanks. I haven't seen him for a bit but I still knew which of the three percussionists he was. (The one on the right, receding hairline).

I have no idea where this musical ability comes from. Go back a further generation and nothing. Thank you St Cecilia for blessing us with your gift.

2 comments:

Masher said...

I haven't a musical bone in my body. I really wish I had. Some years ago, through rote, I learnt to play the first few bars of Strangers In The Night, with one hand, on my Uncle's organ (ooer), but that is just about the full extent of my musical ability.

The only other thing I can play is the fool.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same as Masher, can't even sing, I do envy you and your family.