Saturday, February 11, 2012

Fame & Fortune

Well sort of fame, and little in the way of fortune.

Tonight we are off to a local quiz. Now, I'm relatively competitive at most things. I don't like losing at cards, I always want to improve my score if I'm playing a solo game, but when it comes to a quiz I can't entertain the idea that I might only come second.

It isn't just about getting the answers right, that's a given, but I am also extremely focused on the questions. And woe betide any question master who gives a slightly vague question. Should they be unfortunate to go with an incorrect question they can expect hell! If I aren't winning, I'll certainly be questioning the questions.

I once did a quiz, inter company thing it was, and the question came "what is hectoplasm?".

Me : "Can you spell that?" I asked, perfectly reasonably.

QM : "H-E-C-T-O-P-L-A-S-M"

Me : "Don't know"

QM : "It's the stuff ghosts are made of"

Me : "No it isn't. That's Ectoplasm. That's why I had you spell it".

QM : "Oh well, you didn't give the right answer, so no point"

Me : "I'm sorry, you didn't give the right question for the answer!"

QM & Me get very close to trading blows after which I storm out and who knows how it all ended.

Let's hope tonights goes a little smoother. If not, I may be appearing at a court near you.

2 comments:

Masher said...

"'it 'im Dave, he's worth it!"

Anonymous said...

That made me smile. I ask the questions for our section of the league on Monday nights and the questions are so often badly written that I have to try to re-write them on the spot. Frequently, too, the given answers are incorrect, this can cause a lot of angst.