Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Plenty of Tongue.

I like a bit of tongue. With tomato sauce. In fact I'm actually eating a tongue sandwich as we speak. But that's not my favourite. In fact it's number three on my list.

My second favourite meat based sandwich is pate with onion. Preferably a smooth Brussels pate. That works so much better against the crunch of the raw onion.

But top of the sandwich pops is corned beef. Preferably with coleslaw but I'm not averse, once again, to a coating of tomato sauce.

It is also number one on the price list too. When did corned beef become so expensive? When I were a lad it was a cheap meat, something you might have because ham or a sliced roast meat was too expensive. And there was nothing better of a Sunday tea time than to open a tin of Fray Bentos corned beef. With it's little key to "unzip" it, and the near lethal edges with which you could slice your fingers as you tried to prise the tin from the meat.

Maybe that's why I like the tomato sauce on it.

5 comments:

Masher said...

Like you, I always used to have corned beef when I was a kid - it was a cheap foodstuff.
It's only in the last couple of years that I've got back into it.
With a little bit of salad.
And spread with some Piccalilli.
Not as cheap as it was, but delish all the same.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, not tongue, that used to make me throw up when I was a child, yuck.

Masher said...

The problem with tongue is that it's been in an animal's mouth.

kennamatic said...

TA - I was never fond of tongue when I was a kid. Maybe it's an adult meat?

Masher - Indeed it has. And M went to visit a family in France once and the star of the Sunday lunch was a whole ox tongue, still looking exactly like a whole tongue on a plate.

Brennig said...

I'm with Toffeeapple on the throwingupness of tongue. Never been too keen on corned beef, since I went to a corned beef factory. Bit traumatic.