Monday, February 09, 2015

The Kindest Thing

Last august I bought myself a second car very cheaply on ebay. It was to serve a specific purpose and, by and large, it achieved it. The MOT has run out though so I decided I would put it in for the test because if it didn't need much work I'd have it done and use it a bit longer. I knew it needed a couple of tires and possibly a bulb in the brake lights.

So I waited in line for an hour and fifteen minutes whilst those in front got a pass or a fail and decided what to do. At last, it was out turn. Me and Chobs, for that is his name. First things first, up he goes on the ramp. Right enough, two tyres need a change. On to the tracker rods. Nope they aren't good. The guy looks along the sills prodding them every now and again and then making marks on the bodywork nearby.

At this point the technician called me across.

"It's not good is it" I say.

"I think the kindest thing is to stop this now and bring him down" says he.

But first he showed me the sills, where they were very spongy, by poking his finger at the relevant spot, until his finger went through, and nearly cut the whole thing off. He swore. Prolifically.

And with that, when the bloody flow was stemmed, Chobs was lowered and that was as far as the MOT went. 10 minutes. Condemned.

But it still cost me the full MOT fee though.

Anybody want to buy an uneconomic to repair death trap?

4 comments:

Masher said...

No.

Brennig said...

No.

But don't lose the eBay faith. I bought my Jag on eBay for £1,500 as a bike substitute for the 2013/14 winter. One tyre and new discs later and it's still going strong.

kennamatic said...

I won't lose faith Brennig. That was the eighth car I have bought off of ebay and to be fair whilst I would like this one to carry on it's no great loss that it hasn't. The best I managed was £116 for a Granada Scorpio that lasted for 3 years.

Anonymous said...

I would be miffed if I had to pay the full MOT fee for just ten minutes!