Saturday, February 07, 2015

Profitability

Next week we are off out for a friends birthday meal. I've checked out the menu in advance so I can savour the anticipation.I also checked out the wine list. I was glad to see there were some southern French wines from the area we visit. Then I realised one of them is a wine we know well. Even to the domaine, which means it is a wine we brought back with us. I won't be sorry to drink another bottle but the price might sour the taste a little bit. They are charging £21 per bottle. We bought it for the euro equivalent of £1.79. That gives them a mark up of 1173% assuming they didn't get a better discount than you get for buying just a case.

I think wine in restaurants must be one of the most marked up items there is. I know the food is many times the cost of the raw ingredients but you can accept that you are also paying for the skill of the chef. The cost of cooking and the equipment needs to be taken into account but the only overhead of the wine from supplier to table is transport. Yes,there are profits to make, other overheads to cover,butwine is a little over the odds I would suggest.

3 comments:

Masher said...

You do go on, don't you... wine, wine, wine.

Seriously though, over a thousand percent? That's ludicrous!

Maybe you should get some more of those £1.79 bottles and give them away as birthday gifts... people will think you're a bit of a high-roller.

Anonymous said...

It really is disgraceful the way restaurants do that.

The other thing that gets to me is if you bring in a party of ten or more, they charge you a service charge of 15% and then expect tips as well.

Brennig said...

That's a markup worthy of Wonga!