Sunday, October 01, 2017

WebOct 1

Welcome to the month long Weblog event. A different website each day that means something to me either for personal reasons or just for interest.
But where to start? Particularly as I haven't had time to think about this for long. So I am going to start where I start with my day's browsing. Which is with another blog.

DIAMOND GEEZER

You may or may not be familiar with him. Diamond Geezer is based in Bow, East London and blogs every day. every singe day. And not just a quick dozen words about what he had for breakfast, although I think that has once happened, but a good 500 - 1000 words per day. He's been doing this longer than I have and if nothing else I admire his stamina.

Some days his post is very local to where he lives. Who of his readers can forget this years Bus Stop M saga. Although even some of thoe posts are interesting. But through his site and the occasional gems that pop up I now know there is a place in Essex which has a scale model of the solar system. Not just in a display case but starting on a village green with the Sun. The planets are then placed radiating out from the sun in their correct orbital positions. If I remember correctly, Pluto is somewhere in a field outside of the village. He also won't blog on behalf of companies
wishing to promote themselves which usually leads to a quarterly review of what he's been asked to write about and the ways in which he is approached.

In the last week, and this is quite a good week to look at he has covered;
1/10 - A look at Hampstead and Camden as part of an ongoing series looking at the proposed London Boroughs which never happened.
30/9 - 50 years of Radio 1. Looking at the daily running schedule every 5 years and where the DJs are now.
29/9 - What transport plans were proposed in 2006 and what happened to them.
28/9 - A visit to the Heights of Abraham in Derbyshire
27/9 - A visit to Derby which was mainly spent on the train with little time in the destination itself.
26/9 - 50 things that niggle me. 50 things that annoy me. 50 things that make me angry
25/9 - A look at Wandsworth as part of the same series as 1/10.

I think it is definitely a blog for those who have a connection with London but he certainly has plenty of readers from around the UK and the rest of the world who get an insight into his world. I commend him to you, if only for an occasional dip in to see what he has been up to and why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know next to nothing about London so I found it difficult to 'connect' as it were. I'll keep on looking out though.

kennamatic said...

Yes, if there isn't much connection to London it will be one of those sites to visit occasionally and skim through looking for non-London posts. There are some gems though.