Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Fingers and Thumbs

 I do like a bit of Repair Shop. I would have posted this an hour earlier but I was watching tonights episode. Now, I know that there is much wrong with it. For those who repair stuff it doesn't ring true. It's like on Bargain Hunt when they pick something up off a table for £180.00 and the contestant offers £30 and the dealer takes it. You just try doing that at an antique fair! 

So, I know it has faults. I do get caught up a bit in the emotion of it. It's a fuzzy warm thing and during the pandemic there can't be enough fuzzy warm things. And I'll state here that some over proud mother, who is amazed her child has managed to tie it's own shoelaces by the age of 15 and has got themselves onto Breakfast TV, does not cut it for me.

The real draw of The Repair Shop is that in my head, I can do those repairs. Well, perhaps not the clocks, locks and mechanical stuff but let me loose on the wooden items. Or metal. Need to repair that 18th century trinket box? I'm your man. That amazingly ornate coach lamp needs bringing back to life? Give me a ring.

The only problem is that my head can do all this work, but the rest of my body doesn't have the first idea what it is doing. I have all the tools. Can't move for tools. Every tool I could possibly want and quite a few I've forgotten how to use. Anybody want a biscuit cutter?

But, and whisper this quietly around the land, I have fitted out our utility room. OK, it's not an intricate piece combining manual dexterity and knowhow, mainly putting up shelves, fitting a worktop and putting a skirting board on. But for me, despite the worktop isn't perfectly square where they join and the corner joints of the skirting boards need a little bit of filler I actually think I made a good job of it. And what's more important is that The Magnificent M likes it too.

What's next? Well we do actually have a coach lamp that needs restoring. I wonder....

2 comments:

Masher said...

I love a bit of Repair Shop too.
That card table that Will restored, last night: amazing!
If I had owned that table, I would probably have thrown it away due to its condition, despite its history. Before seeing this, I wouldn't have realised it could have been repaired/restored.
As with many BBC programmes of this ilk - DIY SOS for instance - I've oft wondered whether the BBC pays for everything or whether the owner has to contribute to the cost.

Brennig said...

I'm feeling a bit excluded from the Repair Shop club. I've never seen an episode. I've seen comments about it on the Twitter; sometimes the comments are emotional (in a good way). I shall have to give it a shot.