Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Oldsters Today

 When Mum stayed with us during lockdown, to break up the monotony of only having knitting and puzzles to do she went back to reading which she had given up a few years before because of cataracts. Having had her eyes done she realised this line of pleasure had been reopened to her. We had some romance stories, her preferred genre, and she got through a few before a window opened to get her back home. Since then, I have been picking up books for her on Amazon and getting them delivered. She has worked her way through the three books that Anton du Beke has written, he of Strictly Come Dancing fame, And yes, they do revolve around ballroom dancing.

Next, I have got her some some books by Nadine Dorries. Romances set in Ireland and Liverpool. And she has just about finished them. So we were discussing whether she wants more books by Nadine or whether she fancies a different author. Although it took her virtually half the first book to get into the writing style she says she has enjoyed them and she is happy to have more of hers. And then she told me they are a bit racy. I advised her that maybe she should shut her eyes and not read those bits. 

"You must be joking" she said, "I'm learning all sorts of stuff I didn't know".

As long as she doesn't ask me any questions!!!!


2 comments:

Masher said...

The MP in the constituency next door to me, writes racy literature? I must pop over and say hello.

And good for your mum. It was a bit of a dump last time I was there, but I'm told Reading has really improved.

Brennig said...

I don't really read racy stuff. Except for Dick Francis. And he's more racing than racy. But I'm lapping up the work of Lee Child. And Harlan Coben, who I met when we were doing a book signing in Waterstones in Manchester on the same day. I have started the Goodreads Reading Challenge, and that's most excellent for keeping the momentum going!