Sunday, February 17, 2019

Easy Like Sunday Evening


I am going for the easy option today.

---------------------------------

Where to start. A record from my childhood. So many choices. In the end I have settled on the first record I ever owned. Not that I bought it. I had been interested in music from a very early age. I don’t even remember listening to the first record I became obsessed with, Magic Moments by Perry Como, but I am reliably informed by my mother I spent day in, day out, just singing the two words of the title to the tune. And I obviously carried on being interested in music as when I was four or five I was bought my own little record player with three records. One has probably been more important than the others. I loved the music I listened to as a kid, it was made just for my age group. No pop records with unsuitable lyrics in our day, but songs with humour or interest. And it introduced me to classical music even if I didn’t realise it at the time. The records were red plastic and this particular recording was on side A and then the second half on side B but thanks to the magic of the interwebnetthingy you get all of it in one go!

I suspect it might bring back memories for some others. I give you Danny Kaye and Tubby the Tuba!

TUBBY THE TUBA


3 comments:

Masher said...

I'll never forget
the smell of the sweat
that's under your armpit
The night that we met
your father got pissed
and spewed on the carpet
Maaagic moooments....

Is the only verse I remember.

I can't say I remember Tubby The Tuba, but Danny Kaye... what a guy!

Anonymous said...

Well, Masher made me laugh!

I have always loved Danny Kaye, both his songs and his films enchanted me from an early age. He was magical.

kennamatic said...

Masher - I knew a slightly dirtier version but I can't remember it.

TA - He was brilliant. I'm going to go into old bloke mode now but they don't make entertainers like that any more!