Saturday, February 09, 2019

Family Tree

I am the oldest male in my family tree stemming from my parents still alive.

I am the second oldest person still alive in my line of family tree stemming from my grand parents. (oldest male)

I am the fourth oldest person still alive in my family tree stemming from my great-grandparents. (oldest male)

I am the fifth oldest person still alive in my family stemming from my great-great-grandparents (oldest male)

No idea after that.

That is a lot of generations and lines that I am now patriarch to. The first time it hit me was on the death of my father a few years back when I realised I was now "head of the family" as the oldest male. (I haven't mentioned that to my mother as she would tell me not to be silly and send me to my room. Even though I'm 800 miles away. And I'm 62). But that's the tradition if not the reality of modern life. Although at that time I was only thinking of my immediate family.

So at some point this crown will pass to my brother, although hopefully not for a bit yet, and assuming I don't outlive him.

Luckily there are many more people below me than above on the tree. I just hope all those people aren't looking to me for an inheritance, they are going to be sorely disappointed.

Unless they want a piece of wistreia that I finished off today. Huzzah!

2 comments:

Masher said...

A bit like the needs of your wisteria, family trees undergo constant pruning.
Which is just as well, really, otherwise family trees would be just as unmanageable.

Anonymous said...

I realised a few years ago that I am the Matriarch of my family, it made me quite sad.