Friday, June 10, 2016

June Music Blogathon - Day 10

A Song From A Band That I Hate

To be fair I'm not sure there are any bands that I hate, although I'll probably think of some after today. But there is one band that I think are incredibly over-rated and I can't stand all the adulation they get.

It's those lovable mop-tops, the Fab Four, in other words, The Beatles.

It doesn't help that I can't stand the Liverpool accent.

The way people go on about them you would think they had invented music. People go on about how they were the first group to do this, that, the other. But just because they might have been the first to do something doesn't mean they were any good.

And what about all the teenagers and twenty-somethings who think the Beatle were the greatest band ever. Why. I've never heard anybody who didn't live through the 60s actually give a reasoned argument, even if I don't agree. My suspicion is that all these youngsters like them due to an outbreak of Emperors New Clothes.

I don't think they were particularly talented. I don't think Paul McCartney really appealed until he started Wings. Ringo is a bit of a non-entity. George did some really interesting stuff post-Beatles and for God's sake don't get me started on John Lennon. He will be appearing in another category later on, and it isn't the "my all time favourite song" one.

When I do music quizzes if there is going to be one big gaping hole, it will be any questions to do with them.

If I got near to enjoying anything they did, it would be Sgt Pepper.

So do I go with one of the songs I hate, or one that I can at least listen to.

I've decided on the latter. So here is what I think is probably their best song from my perspective.

A Day In The Life

I could have gone with She's Leaving Home which I rate about the same level.

If I had to choose second in line it would have been their tribute act, Oasis.

6 comments:

Masher said...

Blasphemy!
I can see where you are coming from though, as I feel similarly about Elvis.

Masher said...

BTW I think that link might be broken. Doesn't work on my phone.

Brennig said...

The link works for me. Also blasphemy. And agree with Masher about Elvin Pretzel. But lovely to hear a good Beatles track though. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have always hated the Beatles; as far as I am concerned, they ended real rock and roll!

kennamatic said...

Just as I thought TA, you are a woman of taste!

Brennig/Masher - "Phrases that almost made it" : Blasphemy, Blasphemy, they've all.....no, that's not quite right. I suspect if I was just a few years older I would have been caught up in the "Beatles or Stones fan?" debate. Almost certainly I would have favoured the Stones.

Masher said...

"Blas for me, blas for you, blas for everybody" - Eddie Izzard