Tuesday, June 21, 2016

June Music Blogathon - Day 21

A song that I want played at my funeral.

I'm not a great one for messing about with funerals but personalisation is the way to go these days.

I would stick to the traditional funeral hymn of The Day Thou Gavest Lord Is Ended as I think it is a beautiful tune, and obviously the words are apt. Masher has just given me an idea as he has chosen a Queen song that maybe I would have These Were the Days of Our Lives. I always find that song moving, watching Freddie in the video looking so ill. I know from interviews with the other guys in the group they pretty much had to prop him up to get him through it but he insisted on filming it very quickly and intensely. I think it's the bit when he turns to the camera just before the end and speaks the words "I Still Love You". That would seem to be apt so I shall ponder on this further.

I intend to be a burner rather than a burier, but if that should change I would like, for the procession to the grave side to be accompanied by a New Orleans style Jazz Band, playing a sombre tune within the church and then breaking out into a hot jazz march as we come out into the splendid sunshine beating down on us.

Anyway, on to the main course.

I liked this song from the first time I heard it and also knew I wanted it at my funeral. I think it has a hymn-like air to it and the lyrics which are about one person work for me as talking to a collective group. I fancy disappearing off behind the curtain to the fiery furnace whilst this plays.

The only downside I can see is that I won't get to hear it.

Enya - On Your Shore

2 comments:

Masher said...

Enya: made for funerals!

Brennig said...

What Masher said.