Thursday, June 02, 2016

Junee Music Blogathon Day 2

A Song That Makes Me Sad.

Well this was so much easier that a song that makes me happy. Not sure if a psychologist would have a field day with that.

I had a runner up song. "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen", the famous version being by Cavan O'Connor I think. Kathleen was my maternal Grandmother's name and was the most important figure for me when growing up. She died when I was 15 and I seemed to lose some of my drive, particularly at school, when she had gone. It's a saddish song but made more so for the personal circumstances.

However, as I say, the choice was not going to be difficult.

Les Miserables is my favourite musical. And no, it isn't a connection between sad and miserable! I think it's some of the best theatre music ever written. But despite being a bit of a sad story it is one of the songs in it that can reduce me to tears for my personal circumstances.

On My Own is sung in the show by a girl who has been childhood friends with a local boy and she has held out the hope that they would be together and more than the friends they have been. He, however, falls in love with someone else and she sings of her unrequieted love for him. When I broke up with Linda it was this song that seemed to fit her circumstances and what she wanted deep down. The circumstances being different but the sentiment the same. It came up the first time for me on the day she was admitted to the local mental hospital. Having been her main carer for so many years she entered the doors and for the first time in 30 years we were seperate. That evening I was taking part in a concert which included a medley of Les Mis songs, this being one of them, athough as a chorus member rather than a soloist. Luckily I think my brain cut out a bit and the concert went fine but I would find it difficult to sing this now.

It's been rather hard checking the versions to link to as I find it so hard to listen to.

And in fact I'm linking to it twice.

Lea Salonga took the original role of Epernine. Of the two, she has the more accomplished voice. If you want the vocals then this is the verion for you.

Samantha Barks played Epernine in the film that was released a few years back. (I enjoyed the film as well). Because you see the context and scenery it perhaps detracts from her singing performance but enhances her acting and seems to have more emotion.

I hope you enjoy watching one or both, but I won't be joining you. It's made me sad enough for the time being. And maybe the said psychologist could have a field day analysing the link of music with guilt.

2 comments:

Brennig said...

It's a funny semi-contradiction, but despite the melancholic overtones of Les Mis in general, and 'On My Own' in particular, I find the OST for the stage production to be tremendously uplifting. Oh so emotional, for sure, but not sad-making. Thank you for this, it was a great listen. The stage production is the better version in my world.

Masher said...

Ahh, The Glums!
Never seen it.
But, I had a listen. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.