Sunday, June 12, 2016

June Music Blogathon - Day 12

A Song That No-one Would Expect Me To Love

Most of my friends know I have such an eclectic taste in music that there probably isn't anything that would suprise them so I am picking a track from two different genres that aren't normally associated with me.

Although my faith in their being a deity is a little on the low side, I did grow up in the church choir and became a server. I sometimes go to church and when I di, it is a well known fact that I like traditional hymns and none of this happy clappy rubbish which is meant to appeal to young people. Obviously, not that I am. It's just that I'd rather listen to thrash metal. There have been a couple of "christian" singles in the charts over the years that I've liked, none of which were by Sir Cliff, although I didn't mind his verion of Little Town of Bethlehem. One I can think of is What if God was one of us by Joan Osborne, linked just in case you don't recognise it.

I also like a bit of country music, mainly some of the old stuff but not averse to new as well. But then you knoe that, I just picked Dolly & Kenny yesterday.

So today I am combining the two subjects and coming up with a country hymn based on a gospel song. I discovered it on a country music compilation of lesser known works and singers and I'll normally play it and skip back for another listen and a sing along. It's catchy, foot tapping and sing-a-long happiness.

Why, I almost want to mosey on down to the good Lord's house and have me my fill of his goodness!

Standing on the Promises by Jeanne Pruett

3 comments:

Masher said...

I have no words.

Brennig said...

I have the Joan Osborne album. It's pretty rubbish, overall. This one has defeated my attempt to get at it. I'm going to try again later this evening from home. It won't play from here.

kennamatic said...

Masher - Precisely, the Lord hath struck thee dumb for dissing Whigfield. You know what it sayeth in the bible, cast not the Whigfield from your neighbours eye till though has removed the Psy from thine own!

Brennig - Not surprising re the Joan Osborne album. She'll join the many who have sold albums off the back of one single to find no-one ever bought anything else they released afterwards.