Tuesday, June 14, 2016

June Music Blogathon - Day 14

A song that I hear too often on the radio.

I have taken the liberty of choosing one I hear too often on UK radio and another that I hear too often on French radio.

My choice for UK radio is two fold. Once because I really don't like the song, maybe this should have been the one for hate, as I really don't like it a great deal. I find the sentiments too twee and also having a particularly boring tune. But more than that it represents a group of songs that I detest. These include, Hi Ho Silver Lining, The Time Warp, Brown Sugar and others that I can't think of at this precise moment. What connect all these songs are that 50 year olds who have had too much to drink think they should get on the dance floor and strut around making fools of themselves. In the case of Imagine they feel it is neccesary to sing along and stare into the distance whilst holding up a lighter, or they would but they gave up smoking a few years back, so instead they hold up their pints.

So my UK choice is Imagine - John Lennon.



My French choice is a record harking back to the singers of the sixties who have now passed on or groups that have broken up. It's by Jane Birkin of Je t'aime (mais non plus) fame. It's still breathy but certainly not sexy. I don't particularly like the song but it is the chorus I can't stand. And for one good reason. She lists a number of 60s artists who died, (although Buddy Holiday died in 1959 but his music was still played obviously during the 60s). and then includes T Rex. No, you stupid bint, T Rex is a group, you mean Marc Bolan. And what's worse, T Rex didn't become that until the seventies. Get your facts right. Tyrannosaurus Rex recorded 3 singles in the 60's before they became T Rex and released their first single 1970. And you still mean Marc Bolan!!!! Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

I need to lie down in a darkened room!

Ex-Fan Des Sixties - Jane Birkin

2 comments:

Masher said...

I hate that one by the B52s that they always play at parties. I have no idea how to dance to that!

Buddy Holiday?

Brennig said...

I used to have a thing for Jane Birkin. Could probably still have a thing for her, if I could remember how to do it.